Saturday, December 31, 2005

Celebrate YOU

This was my "Presidents Corner" for the newsletter we do for MOMS Club each month.... I'm so convicted that I'm not going to do new years resolutions anymore, but as I am starting to see everyones posts and goals and the new year is right at our door step I thought I'd fight the peer pressure and tell everyone why I'm saying "NO" to resolutions.

As I sit here, ten past 11, the night before the newsletter needs to be done… typing my oh so late Presidents Corner (Isn’t this how it always is!) … It is clear what needs to be on the top of my resolutions list:
1) STOP PROCRASTINATING SHAWNA!

You know though… in a way it is sort of sad. A full year of our lives go by, and we celebrate by thinking “Now this is what I should have done this year that I’ll do next year” we get out our pens and our paper (if you are me, it is that pretty journal that I haven’t opened since last New Years Day) and then we list it out. Here is what I should be doing: I should be thinner, nicer, neater, I should do things on time, I should take more time for me, I should organize all those pictures. It’s a noble cause, but it’s kind of sad because in a way we are saying “This is everything that is wrong with me, this is all the ways I screwed up in 2005.”

Instead, wouldn’t it be nice to treat yourself, to open that crunchy new journal up and say, “You did such a good job in 2005.” Imagine if a year from now when you open that book again you were to see a list of the wonderful things you did the year before, if you were to chronicle all the bad habits you DID break, all the great lessons you learned. All the reasons why you are just pretty much great last year! I know all of you, and your lists could really rock!

Now, I’ve never done this, but I’m pretty much tired of telling myself I’m not going to procrastinate anymore at the beginning of each year (well… actually usually I don’t get around to journaling it till about January 3rd)... So this year it stops and I say “Wow Shawna, this year you were amazing! You started scrapbooking and really rocked it. You started a great website that your family loves going to to keep up with the going ons of the boys. You faced depression and you made it through. You lost quite a bit of your Reece weight…. My word what an awesome person!” Now ofcourse, if I wanted to, I could add that I need to be better at sending Birthday and Thankyou cards, or that I should be keeping up with the laundry rather than being eaten alive by it… Then ofcourse there is the fact that eventually I’ll probably get impeached if I don’t start doing these things on time… but now that I compare the two lists I really don’t think I can ever go back to the “resolutions”…. Instead I’ll be tooting my little horn and hoping for another great year.

SO! Do it! Don’t be surprised if in January I start asking everyone how wonderful you were in 2005, because I know you all were. I want you to say “YAY ME!” and I’ll be bugging you about it so don’t try to squirrel out of it!

Enjoy yourselves everyone! Enjoy the rest of your Holidays! Remember that you all deserve a pat on the back for everything you did in the year 2005.

Here’s to doing all the great things you do for another year! Happy New Year Everyone!!
~Shawna

So here is the deal! everyone hit the little "comment" link on the bottom of this post and TELL ME WHY you were wonderful in 2005, let's bring in the new year celebrating ourselves and all the great things we've done. Let me hear you people!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawna, I loved your write-up for the newsletter. It is SO true! Since I am the first to post here, I will kick it off: besides being a SAHM (totally underpaid and underappreciated :) my main acheivement came late in the year. As you know, I have committed to "finding myself" amidst all the dirty diapers and craziness of life. I came to appreciate that the Mommy matters just as much as everyone else that I am always taking care of! "The best thing a parent can do for their child is allow themself to grow". There you have it- not a very tangible accomplishment, but a powerful mindset that I envision will produce great things for 2006. Happy new year!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

Shawna,
See my blog - I took your idea and ran with it. :)

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...thank you for the positive push, Shawna, you bless me! I have...
* grieved my losses and regained my strength of faith
* learned to have both my grandsons spend the night (this year-all three!)
* Taught a ladies' bible study
* built a new friendship with Colleen
* Met my goal of having a dinner plan every day and doing weekly shopping with a list (finally- after 25 years of homemaking. Thank you fly lady and Leanne)
* Loved my husband, my kids and grandkids
* Kept up on dr. appts and exercise
* Grew pretty flowers on my deck
* Set up my office again (Thank you Edna)
* Learned to swim, snorkel and boat again (Thank you my wondeful husband)
*Learned to wrestle and laugh with my grandsons again

8:59 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

wonderful resolve Shawna.. I love it.

I was thrilled to see all your work on Dani's site. You are so talented...

Now help me build a banner for my blog LOL.. I am so technologically retarded. LOL

10:05 AM  
Blogger Cricket said...

Hey Shawna, I blogged
mine too!!

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home